Recovered along the Emmitsburg Road in an area occupied by Confederate troops during the battle of Gettysburg, on July 2, 1863!
Excavated friction primer. This is a short copper tube that would have been filled with gun powder, and it has a perpendicular spur that would have been filled with a priming mixture. It was a device used to initiate the firing of a muzzle loading cannon. The friction primer was inserted into the vent of a cannon, and when it was ignited it caused a spark like a match that ignited the powder charge within the cannon chamber which caused the gun to fire. Measures 1 3/4 inches in length, with the spur measuring 5/8 inch wide. Found in an area along the Emmitsburg Road, south of town, in an area occupied by Confederate troops during the battle. Very desirable artillery related Gettysburg relic.